Jan. 4, Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
An eloquent yet bittersweet story of a man and a woman who, in advanced age, come together to wrestle with the events of their lives and their hopes for the imminent future.
In the familiar setting of Holt, Colorado, home to all of Kent Haruf's inimitable fiction, Addie Moore pays an unexpected visit to a neighbor, Louis Waters. Her husband died years ago, as did his wife, and in such a small town they naturally have known of each other for decades; in fact, Addie was quite fond of Louis's wife. His daughter lives hours away in Colorado Springs, her son even farther away in Grand Junction, and Addie and Louis have long been living alone in houses now empty of family, the nights so terribly lonely, especially with no one to talk with.
Their brave adventures - their pleasures and their difficulties - are hugely involving and truly resonant, making Our Souls at Night the perfect final installment to this beloved writer's enduring contribution to American literature.
"A fitting close to a storied career, a beautiful rumination on aging, accommodation, and our need to connect. . . . As a meditation on life and forthcoming death, Haruf couldn't have done any better. He has given us a powerful, pared-down story of two characters who refuse to go gentle into that good night." -Lynn Rosen, The Philadelphia Enquirer
Books read thus far are:
- June 2017: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- July 2017: The Rosie Project: A Novel by Graeme Simsion.
- August 2017: 3mph: The Adventures of One Woman’s Walk Around the World by Polly Letofsky
- September 2017: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- October 2017: These is My Words by Nancy Turner
- Nov. 2, Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- Dec. 7, A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Upcoming books are:
- Feb 1, Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
- March 1, Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- April 5, Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
- May 3, Hands of My Father: A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love by Myron Uhlberg
- June 7, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
We now have 30 groups on our list. Is your group included?