July 5: Beneath the Scarlet Sky
Pino Lella wants nothing to do with the war or the Nazis. He's a normal Italian teenager-obsessed with music, food, and girls-but his days of innocence are numbered. When his family home in Milan is destroyed by Allied bombs, Pino joins an underground railroad helping Jews escape over the Alps, and falls for Anna, a beautiful widow six years his senior.
In an attempt to protect him, Pino's parents force him to enlist as a German soldier-a move they think will keep him out of combat. But after Pino is injured, he is recruited at the tender age of eighteen to become the personal driver for Adolf Hitler's left hand in Italy, General Hans Leyers, one of the Third Reich's most mysterious and powerful commanders.
Now, with the opportunity to spy for the Allies inside the German High Command, Pino endures the horrors of the war and the Nazi occupation by fighting in secret, his courage bolstered by his love for Anna and for the life he dreams they will one day share.
Please join us Thursday, July 5 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the LLL Center. Susie Nee will facilitate the discussion. It is free but registration is required.
- Aug. 2 - The Last Bus to Wisdom by Ivan Doig
- Sept. 6 - Still Life With Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlen
- Oct. 4 - The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel
- Nov. 1 - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- Dec. 6 - The Other Einstein: A Novel by Marie Bened
Books read thus far are:
- June 2017: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- July 2017: The Rosie Project: A Novel by Graeme Simsion.
- August 2017: 3mph: The Adventures of One Woman’s Walk Around the World by Polly Letofsky
- September 2017: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- October 2017: These is My Words by Nancy Turner
- Nov. 2, Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- Dec. 7, A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
- Jan. 4: Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
- Feb. 1: The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
- March 1: The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- April 5: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
- May 3: Hands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg
- June 7: When Breath Becomes Air